Izhevsk State Medical Academy
Izhevsk State Medical Academy is a leading higher medical education provider in the Russian Federation. It is proud of its highly-qualified teaching staff, advanced researchers and experienced physicians whose names are world-famous. The academy was established in 1933 and over the course of 80 years it has trained more than 21500 doctors and nursing managers. Nowadays 351 teachers including 86 Doctors of Medicine and 212 Candidates of Medicine provide a high level of teaching process at 52 departments and 28 clinical bases of the academy. Over 2800 students study at the academy including the foreign ones.
The academy has been training international students since 1988. Students from 113 states of the former Soviet Union, Europe, Asia, Latin America and Africa have studied at our academy. Over this period 3000 physicians, dentists and paediatricians have been trained for foreign countries.
Much is done to organize international exchanges for students and young doctors. The academy has general agreements of educational and scientific cooperation with the University of Pecs, CVI, Semmelweis University (Hungary), Medical University of Silesia (Poland), Oulton instituto de diagnostico y tratamiento (Argentina), Aristotle University of Thesaloniki (Greece), Novi Sad University (Serbia), Belarus State Medical University (The Republic of Belarus), University of Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina), Ivanovo-Frankovsk State Medical University (Ukraine), Samarkand Medical Institute (Uzbekistan) and others. During 25 years more than 300 students from Italy, Germany, Turkey, Yugoslavia, Spain, Finland, Denmark, Macedonia, etc. participated in externships at the academy. In its turn more than700 students and young scientists of Izhevsk State Medical Academy participated in externship in other countries.
The education process is organized at four departments, including General Medicine, Paediatrics, Dentistry, and Department of Post-graduate and Professional Training. The academic staff regularly participates in international conferences and symposia. Practical courses are taught at the best city hospitals and out-patient clinics which enables us to apply the most advanced teaching methods. Below you can find out brief information and contact details of each department. All students can also visit centre of practical skills. Every entrant is able to prepare for exams in centre of pre-academy and additional training where workers of academy prepare them for entering examinations. The academy has the following 6 departments :
- Department of General Medicine
- Department of Paediatrics
- Department of Dentistry
- Department of post-graduate & professional training
- Centre of practical skills
- Centre of pre-academy & professional training
Established in 1991, the department is responsible for monitoring postgraduate medical education. Its activities include organization, coordination and control of the teaching and learning process and are carried out in the following directions:
- Ph.D. degree programme.
Izhevsk is a large industrial city with the population over 600,000 people. It was established in 1760 around an ironwork plant. Now it’s famous as a city where AK-47 is produced and where its creator Mikhail Kalashnikov lived. But there are also a lot to see: beautiful churches, like St. Michael’s Cathedral, several parks, an embankment, zoo and much more.
Museum of famous composer P.I. Chaikovsky is located in the city of Votkinsk (60km from Izhevsk). You may go there by car or bus (single ticket costs about 200 roubles). If you are interested in nature beauties, you should enjoy the view from Mt. Ural in Sarapul (100km from Izhevsk). You may go there by car or bus too (single ticket costs about 160 roubles). Or you may go to Kungur Ice Cave (500 km from Izhevsk), it is really astonishing. To reach this place you may take a car, bus or train (single ticket costs about 500 roubles).
And if you want to go to Moscow or St.Petersburg it’s also not a problem, because Izhevsk is well connected with other cities by railway and air. The cost of single ticket is 2500 and 6000 roubles relatively.
- Gym : Students can visit our newly built gym, where they can play football, volleyball or try any of 15 available sport sections. Our students participate in national and federal competitions.
- Scientific community : ISMA is an important research center and we are glad that our students take an active part in scientific life of the academy.
- Amateur theater : Students are all-round and many of them involved in the theatrical circle. They organize various performances, such as «Romeo and Juliet» or «Notre Dame de Paris».
- Student union : Student union offers students participation in social and administrative life of the academy. If you are active, we are always glad to see you in our union.
- Dormitory : There are three dormitories which are located close to the academy within accessibility of the public transport. Total number of beds is 1500 and there are all necessary facilities inside. Medical care is available at the medical point of the academy and dental centre too. Medical insurance is compulsory for all foreign students.